Covid Cleaning heat Pumps

Does My Heat Pump Have Mold In It?


This is a question we get asked all the time. Along with; Do Heat Pumps Get Mold?!

We also get asked, How To Stop Mold In My Heat Pump.?

We’ll try to answer a few of those questions here.

Summary – the short answer, is, if it hasn’t been cleaned for a while, then probably yes, but it does depend on quite a few factors, like:


Moldy Heat Pump


What Affects The Mold In My Heat Pump?


When was the heat pump last professionally cleaned?

Air Quality of the area

How often is the heat pump used

How often it the head unit switched on and off?

How much it the heat pump used for cooling?

Wondering How Often You Should Get Your Heat Pump Cleaned? Click Here For An Easy Summary!


Whether your heat pump has mold in it does depend on a few factors, but 90% of the heat pumps we see on our first visit contains mold, or the beginning of mold. Most of the other 10% have dirt, dust and other grime. The exceptions are when the heat pump has been cleaned recently or is not used much.


“90% of the heat pumps we see on our initial visit contain mold”


We often take pictures and video’s of the mold we see in heat pumps, and if you look around our website you’ll see what it looks like!

Click to see the CBC REPORT – What’s In Your Heat Pump!


Minisplit System Clean Sydney, NS


So, How Quickly Do Heat Pumps Get Mold?


Some heat pumps begin to breed mold within 12 months but some don’t for years. We have visited houses and business’ where the heat pump doesn’t need cleaning after being in use for two or three years (in this case we leave after inspecting it free of charge) and other locations that really need it every 3 months! It really depends of a few factors. And you should ask a few questions…..


Some Things You Can Do To Reduce Heat Pump Cleaning….(and some you can’t!)


Where Is My Heat Pump Located?

My Heat Pump Is In The Basement – If it’s in the basement, often it will not be used for cooling, so will mainly only gather dust and dirt. These usually require less cleaning.

My Heat Pump Is In The Lounge, Kitchen, or Upstairs – If the heat pump is in a location that requires cooling of any kind, it’s likely the heat pump will need cleaning yearly (or sometimes more) This is due to the condensation from moisture the heat pump pulls from the air, leading to mold.


“Usually, we’ll clean the heat pumps in the home once a year and the one in the basement every 18 to 24 months”


How Do I use My Heat Pump?

Am I Using My Heat Pump Correctly – Generally, heat pumps like to be left on. They operate more efficiently this way and have a chance to dry themselves. If you are switching the heat pump on and off a lot, this gives the moisture a chance to breed mold in the unit before it’s dried. Where possible you should leave the heat pump on, and just turn it up or down where needed.


Air Quality In The Home: The quality of the air passing through the heat pump makes a difference to how fast the fins in the coil, and the fan blower wheel get blocked and filled with dust and dirt. If the heat pump’s in the kitchen and acting like an air filter, or you have pets, the can accumulate dirt, great and dust quicker. Once moisture gets in there, this is a great place for mold to breed in and around your heat pump. If there’s moisture in the air, this can speed up the appearance of mold.


Remember – Most of the air in your home passes through your heat pump

They Should Be Deep Cleaned Regularly To Keep Safe & Efficient

If In Doubt – Call A Professional


Contact your Local Heat Pump Deep Clean Crew for more information or to get a free heat pump inspection.


keep it clean –  breath Fresh, Safe Air!




TAGS : heat pump cleaning heat pump mold heat pumps
POSTED BY Damian Phillips | Dec, 29, 2020 |