Mold in Heat Pumps
Heat Pumps, or ‘Mini-Split’ Ductless systems are a great way to heat your home in colder months, and cool it in hot months. However, due to the way they operate, they draw in elements from nature and if not maintained properly can suffer from becoming contaminated with mold.
Dangers of Mold
Mold can cause nasal and throat issues, cold and flu-like symptoms, and exasperate breathing issues and allergens. Some mold exposure can cause more serious health problems, including chronic lung infections such as legionnaires disease
Moisture, Mold and Your Heat Pump System
Heat Pumps work by exchanging heat and distributing air. They are prone to condensing water, which is where mould loves to grow. Moist air and parts of the system that are damp for long periods can be prone to mold infestations. If left for too long, the mold will manifest itself on the blades, the coil, fan and other components. It can also spread throughout the system to other area’s of your house.
Periodic Maintenance & Cleaning
We recommend cleaning your mini-split system every 1 – 2 years. Use the following steps as a guideline:
1. Shut off power by fuse box!
2. Wear safety mask, gloves and goggles
3. Remove filters, cover (usually a few screws, covered by pull-out tabs) and any accessories
4. Cover electrical and any exposed circuits with tape
5. Cover wall, lay drop sheet on any area you do not wish to get wet
6. Spray coils, blades and parts with an antibacterial, non-acidic cleaner (leave for 10 – 15 minutes) a mild soap & water can work
7. Rinse with power washer (set to low so as to not damage the coil blades! (less than 1500 psi)
(if you don’t have suitable power washer, brush solution off and rinse with sponge)
8. Let dry, replace covers and accessories
9. Pressure wash outside condenser unit with chemicals and rinse (or use hose)
Or call a professional heat pump cleaner and let them take care of it!
For further information, tips, help or advice on cleaning, feel free to e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on: 902-908-0427
Stay safe, breath clean,
Damian and the Pure Air Cleaning team